The Gifford Auxiliary started as the Randolph Sanatorium Ladies Aid Society in 1906. It supports Gifford’s mission of community health through community projects and financial support of the medical center. Since 1956, it has provided clothing to the area’s needy, and frugal, through its Thrift Shop, now located next to the hospital on Route 12.
The popular Thrift Shop is the Auxiliary’s main endeavor and primary revenue source. Many of the Auxiliary’s 100-plus members help staff the Thrift Shop. The volunteers ring up and bag customers’ purchases, which have added up to well over $1 million raised over the years to support the hospital. An active 12-member Auxiliary Board of Directors reviews requests for Gifford equipment, building and program needs. And Auxiliary members also support children, students and others in the community.
Annual scholarships for students pursuing careers in health-related professions
Hand-knitted hats and mittens for area school children, and hats for babies born at the Gifford Birthing Center
Funds donated for medical equipment and other medical needs
Funding for building projects, such as the Philip Levesque Medical Building, Robin’s Nest Child Enrichment Center and Menig Extended Care Facility nursing home
Auxiliary members meet four times a year for a luncheon, business meeting and guest speaker on a health issue.
To become involved with the Gifford Auxiliary, call (802) 728-2617, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit its 4 Maple St. office in Randolph. Office hours vary, so please call ahead.
To volunteer at the Thrift Shop, call (802) 728-2185 or stop by to pick up a volunteer application.